I am not a coffee drinker. Caffeine makes me jittery and sick to my stomach. Though I’m glad I don’t rely on a substance to wake me up in the morning, I admit to being a bit envious that everyone else has a delicious hot drink to perk them up in the morning. That’s why I was so excited when I discovered red tea. Not only is this tea caffeine-free and delicious, but it also is perfect for a chai mix.
- 1/2 cup red rooibos tea
- 8 cardamom pods, crushed
- 20 whole cloves, crushed
- 2 cinnamon sticks, crushed (all this crushing is fun, believe me!)
- 1/2 teaspoon smashed anise
- 1 teaspoon orange peel
What I do:
- Put the red tea and crushed spices in a pint jar
- Put on the lid and SHAKE IT UP!
- Use two teaspoons of the mix per serving (there are a number of tea infusers you can use for this purpose. I use the cute ceramic teapot my sister made for me, then pour it through a mesh strainer because the red tea is rather small)
- Add about 14 ounces of boiling water
- Allow to steep for five or six minutes
- DO NOT OVER STEEP! You will make a very muddy tea.
- Additions: I like to sweeten mine with a teaspoon of local honey, then use about 2-3 tablespoons of coconut milk as a creamer. It’s DREAMY.
- Special Addition: Put a tiny slice of vanilla bean (I probably snip off just 1/8 an inch of the bean for mine) in the mix before adding the boiling water. It’s flavor heaven, I promise!