So, our CSA (First Light Farm) has this habit of sending us Armenian Cucumbers the size of a 10-year-old’s arm. As much as I love a few slices of cool cucumber on my salad, I’m usually left wondering what to do with the other foot-and-a-half of the darned thing.
Dairy-Free Cucumber Salad
- 1 huge cucumber, thinly sliced. I think it yielded about 4 or 5 cups and I used the thick slice side of my box cheese grater to slice them.
- 2 red torpedo onions, thinly sliced (about 1/4 cup)
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon seasoning (I used 1/4 t sea salt and 3/4 t seasoning mix)
- 6 grinds of lemon pepper
Just mix it all together and allow it to chill.
This is REALLY good. I want to be invited to a pot luck BBQ just so I can make another big bowl of it. M and I munched on this for four days. I admit to cheating on the dairy-free and added about a tablespoon of low-fat sour cream to mine. 🙂 M said it reminded him fondly of his grandmother’s cooking.
I was given an opportunity to have my jewelry sold in a retail store on the opposite coast. So, needless to say, I spent the last two weeks throwing myself into that project! 36 pairs of earrings, 12 necklaces, and a mess of a back later and I can finally turn my focus to my usual every day life. There is currently more laundry piled on my bed than there is put away in my closet, and my dishes haven’t been washed in ages. They are probably capable of telling me by now… but I’m scared to ask.
I have been doing some light cooking here and there. Nothing spectacular. I do want to say that fractal cauliflower is very tasty, and best when steamed for 20 minutes. Also, fresh romaine lettuce is nothing like what you buy in the store. Neither are carrots. Or radishes. Just combining those three with some home made Italian style dressing was cause for a little celebration.
Speaking of which…
- Olive oil
- Canola oil
- Balsamic vinegar
- Red wine vinegar
- Sea Salt
- Garlic powder
- Oregano powder (or dried herb leaf)
What I did:
- Well, that’s difficult to say. This is very much a DIY dressing. It’s mostly olive & canola oil, with a dash of everything else to taste. Play with it. It’s yummy.
My salad also included some of my home made croutons and a sprinkle of feta cheese.