This is a vegan and gluten-free chili with a delicious mix of summer & autumn flavors.
- 1 sugar pie pumpkin (about 1.5 lbs), peeled, seeded, and cubed into bite-sized pieces
- 2 can of beans + their goo (opt for sugar-free and low-sodium if possible)
- 1 lb fresh tomatoes, diced (or 1 14.5 oz can)
- 1 6 oz can tomato paste (the tomato paste from Trader Joe’s is just tomato and citric acid)
- 1 large onion, diced
- 2 bell peppers, diced
- 1 jalapeno, seeded and minced (I used two Anaheim peppers from our garden this time around)
- 1 tablespoon fresh minced epazote (or 1 tsp dried)
- 1 teaspoon each: cumin, smoked paprika, sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon each: chili powder, coriander, cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon allspice
Throw it all into a 6 quart slow cooker and cook on low for 6-7 hours. If it looks really dry after the first hour, add 1/4 cup water. The tomatoes should get it nice and juicy on their own.
If you’re not into slow cookers, add 1/2 cup water or broth and cook it covered on low on the stove top in a big, heavy-bottomed pot until the flavors have melded and the pumpkin is nice and soft.