Gluten-free granola bars for Michael.
- 2 cups certified gluten free oats
- 3/4 cups flax meal
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/2 cup flaked unsweetened coconut
- 3/4 cup roasted & salted pepitas
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1 tablespoon molasses
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup chopped dried pears
- 1/2 cup raisins
What I Did:
- Toast the oats, nuts, and coconut on a metal 11×15.5 baking sheet at 350F for about 5 minutes, stirring every minute.
- Simmer sugar, honey, oil, and molasses in a medium sized heavy bottomed pan on med heat until the sugar is completely dissolved.
- Stir in the oats well, remove from heat.
- Stir in remaining ingredients.
- Grease a sheet of waxed paper and place in a metal pan (I use the same 11×15.5 metal baking sheet, it’s cool by the time I get to this step) .
- Empty contents of the pot onto the paper, and cover with another greased sheet of waxed paper.
- Spread it out and press it down REALLY HARD (this is why you use a metal pan and not glass or ceramic). Use a mallet or rolling pin. It should cover the entire baking sheet.
- Set aside and allow to set for at least two hours (the most difficult part, really).
- Cut into desired shapes, store air-tight layered between waxed paper (you can save cracker & cereal bags and cut them just for this purpose!)
I’m going to make a batch for myself without the gluten-free oats. They were kind of pricey. But at $8 for 2lbs we got a better deal at Andy’s Food Market than we could find online.