This makes me wish I had a hammock or a porch swing.
I start with a basic lemonade recipe I got from Bust Magazine, which I totally love.
- 1 1/2 cups fresh lemon juice
- 1 cup sugar
- 6 cups water, divided
- My additions: 1/4 cup chia seeds, 1/2 tablespoon fresh ginger juice, a sprig of fresh mint
What to do:
- Combine 1 cup sugar and 1 cup water in a saucepan and heat them on the stove until the sugar dissolves. Allow to cool.
- Squeeze your lemons!
- Put chia seeds in your pitcher with 5 cups of water. Stir, stir, stir while the seeds hydrate (they’ll be sticky glops if you don’t stir them well).
- Add the sugar water (simple syrup), lemon juice, ginger juice, and stir well.
- Serve over ice with a garnish of mint. Smash the mint into your glass before you drink it.
It’s not summer yet, and with the way the weather’s been the last 12 months, who knows when/if it WILL be summer, but if/when that hot sun shows up to bake the landscape, you’re going to want gallons of this healthy, refreshing smoothie.
- 2 cups coconut water + more if the blender is working too hard (you can just use plain water, but if you do you’re missing out on lots of electrolytes!)
- 2 pears, sliced and frozen (I didn’t peel them. Use can substitute bananas if you want.)
- 1 cup cubed frozen watermelon (we still have some left from last summer)
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds (lots of fiber and protein)
- 1 tablespoon aloe juice (coating and soothing for your insides!)
- 1 palm full of mint leaves (maybe 1/8 cup?)
- juice of 1 lime (don’t worry, it won’t be sour at all)
Blend the coconut water, mint, aloe, and chia first. Add everything else and blend until smoothe!