Potato Leek Soup does not have to involve cream to be tasty. In fact, this recipe is gluten-free, dairy-free, and meat-free. And I totally would have made it this way if I hadn’t run out of vegetable broth. Whoops.
- 1 large or 2 small leeks
- 3 medium potatoes
- 2 medium carrots
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- salt/pepper/seasoning to taste
- 4 cups vegetable broth or stock
What I did:
- Cut off the dark green portion of the leek, then slice in half lengthwise. Run some water over it to remove any grit, then slice it into arches about 1/4 of an inch thick.
- Clean and cube the potatoes.
- Clean and thinly slice the carrots.
- Allow olive oil to warm up in a medium sized pot over medium heat.
- Add veggies, season (I used 1/2 teaspoon of Trader Joe’s 21 Seasoning Salute).
- Stir and allow to cook for 3 minutes. At this point if the scent isn’t making you drool, you should probably consult a physician.
- Add broth, cover, cook for 30-40 minutes. You want it to all be very soft. Test the carrots.
- Mash with a potato masher, or allow to cool and pour it in a blender. This is another reason I want an immersible wand blender.
I like to serve mine with crumbled cooked turkey bacon. That totally un-veganises it, of course.