M and I experimented while canning yesterday. It started as apple sauce. It was decided to make it sugar-free. It turned into sugar-free apple-quince sauce. It became Sour Apple & Quince Sauce after we forgot to add the Stevia. If you like sour candy, you will LOVE this! M and I were definitely enjoying the leftovers.
- 12 cups peeled, cored & chopped apples, set aside the peels
- 4 cups peeled, cored & grated quince (use a food processor if you have one, believe me!), set aside the peels
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/4 cup lemon juice (get this on the grated quince ASAP or they’ll brown!)
- 2 teaspoons lemon rind
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon cardamom
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- Peels of the apple & quince in a cheese cloth bag
Stir everything into a big heavy-bottomed pot until it is the consistency you desire. We didn’t time it. We changed the temperatures around. It was bubbling right before we canned it. Just remember to remove the cheese cloth bag before canning. 😉
Makes about 6 half pint jars.
Add a little Stevia and taste-test if you want it sweeter.
Apple sauce with an attitude!