Adapted from about five other recipes that just didn’t suit.
- 1 cup raw sugar
- 1/2 cup coconut oil, butter, or butter substitute of choice
- 1 egg
- 1 cup sourdough starter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup white flour
- 3/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- Topping: 1/4 cup raw sugar & 2 teaspoons cinnamon
What to do:
- Preheat your oven to 350F.
- Lightly grease two cookie sheets.
- Beat the coconut oil/butter with the sugar until smooth.
- Add the egg, sourdough starter, and vanilla, mix well.
- Add the dry ingredients.
- Now check your dough. You want it to be sticky but handle-able. Too dry? Add a little water. Too sticky? Add a little flour.
- Take a plate and sprinkle the 1/4 cup raw sugar over it. Then sprinkle the cinnamon on top of that.
- Roll dough into balls about 2 inches in diameter then roll them in the cinnamon & sugar mix.
- Bake 12 to a cookie sheet for 12-15 minutes.
- Allow to cool for 5 minutes, then transfer to racks.
I’ve tried making these with 1/4 cup cocoa powder and 1/2 cup chocolate chips and was underwhelmed. As snickerdoodles, they’re transcendent.