Can it be pilaf without the orzo? I really don’t know the rules. I just know that I cook gluten-free dishes for M, so some recipes need to be tweaked. The original recipe can be found in Good Housekeeping’s Light & Healthy, which I got at the closing Border’s for $5 and has sparked a creative cooking explosion in this house!
- 8 ounces rice shell pasta
- 1 cup wild rice
- 3 tablespoons butter/margarine/oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 medium celery stalk, finely chopped
- 1/2 pound sliced mushrooms
- 1/2 pound sliced summer squash
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/8 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon sea lettuce flakes
What I Did:
- Cook the wild rice & rice pasta as directed on the packages
- In a large skillet on medium heat, melt the butter/margarine/oil
- Add the onion and celery, cook until tender (10 minutes?)
- Add the rest of the goodies and cook until the liquid has mostly evaporated (another 10 minutes or so).
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- Mix the rice, pasta, and veggie mixture together in a 3-quart baking dish.
- Cover and bake for 30 minutes.
Delicious! I will definitely be making this again!