This is comfort food that doesn’t have to be nearly as fatty as you think. I use reduced fat sour cream, 75% reduced fat cheddar cheese, and turkey bacon instead of pork (which is about 80% less fat).
Cheesy Baked Squash
- 6 medium yellow squash, thinly sliced
- 8 strips turkey bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 eggs, separated
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons flour (I use whole wheat)
- 1/3 cup breadcrumbs
What I do:
- Instead of following the original recipe and cooking the squash first THEN slicing it, I slice it then put it into a large pot, cover it with water, and cook it on medium heat from 20-30 minutes depending on how crisp I want it. I highly suggest you do the same. 🙂 Make sure to drain it VERY well or you’ll end up with a watery-bottomed casserole.
- Preheat the oven to 350F
- Beat egg whites until stiff peaks form
- Fold in yolks, sour cream, and flour
- In a lightly greased baking dish, put down a layer of half the squash
- Smear half the egg/sour cream mixture over it
- Sprinkle half the cheese on top
- Cover it with the crumbled bacon
- Add the other half of the squash
- Add the other half of the egg mixture
- Add the other half of the cheese
- Sprinkle the bread crumbs on top
- Bake for 25 minutes
This is really great comfort food.