I picked two 9-inch zucchinis from my garden yesterday, so it was time to make up a recipe for them. This is probably my most successful recipe that I completely made up myself.
- Two 9-inch zucchinis, sliced in half length-wise and seeds scooped out
- One small onion, diced
- One small red bell pepper, diced
- 1/3 lb ground turkey
- One prepared pot of Trader Joe’s Basmati Rice Medley (it only takes 15 minutes to cook)
- 1 teaspoon seasoning blend
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- About 1/2 teaspoon EACH dried thyme & oregano (I just plucked theses off the plants hanging in my kitchen)
What I Did:
- Prepare the rice to cook. If you don’t have that particular kind of rice, it’s a 1 cup rice to 2 cups water ratio, just to give you an idea. Add the seasoning and salt to the rice while it’s cooking.
- Dice & saute the onion & bell pepper for about five minutes.
- Add the ground turkey, oregano & thyme and cook well.
- Add the cooked rice, mix well.
- Heat the oven to 350F.
- Pour some olive oil into a baking dish that will fit your zucchini, place the zucchini in the dish and roll them around in the oil.
- Carefully spoon mixture into zucchini.
- Bake for 30 minutes.
- I had a lot of leftover filling. We ate some of it with chips (YUM!), and I plan on filling a tortilla with it for lunch today.
- Some of the rice on the top got a bit crunchy. Carefully draping the scooped innards of the zucchini on top of the filling before baking might help fix this problem.