Roasted Beet & Blood Orange Salad
- 2 lbs. fresh beets
- vegetable oil spray
- 4 lettuce leaves
- 2 blood oranges
- 1/2 C slivered almonds
- fresh mint sprigs for garnish
- 3 tbsp. white wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp. oil
- 1 tbsp. orange juice
- 2 tsp. honey
- 1 tsp. grated lime zest
What I did:
- Toast almonds on a baking sheet at 350 for 5 minutes.
- Trim all but 1-2 inches of the stems from the beets. Place beets in a single layer in a pan, lightly coated with vegetable spray.
- Roast beets about 1 hour or until tender and let cool. Rub beets to re-move skins. Coarsely chop them and put into covered bowl. (Edit: Just peel the beets with a vegetable peeler before roasting them. Peeling them afterward was SO messy and difficult.)
- 4. Combine dressing ingredients and pour over beets.
- Cover and refrigerate 2-24 hours.
- When ready to serve, rinse lettuce and oranges.
- Place the lettuce on a plate. Stir the oranges into the beets, mix and place on the lettuce.
- Sprinkle with almonds and garnish with mint.
Um, well, I tried it. It was weird. The flavors were weird. The textures were weird. I will not be making this again. The Beet & Green Bean Salad is a completely different story, though. Just you wait for beans to be in season!