Another recipe from the CSA email. Thanks, First Light Farms!
- 5-6 medium potatoes, boiled & mashed (I had only a few potatoes left so I used two red, two yellow, and one sweet potato. I boiled them for 25 minutes).
- 1 tablespoon each olive oil and butter
- 2 large cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- 1 small/med head of cabbage, shredded (clean your cabbage with great care first! Cabbage from the farm can contain inhabitants…)
- 1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 ounce crumbled feta cheese
- paprika, salt & pepper to taste
What I did:
- Cube and set up the potatoes to boil (about 25 minutes, then drain and mash).
- Clean cabbage thoroughly, then shred.
- Heat the olive oil & butter in a large saucepan (at medium heat), add garlic and saute until garlic is lightly browned.
- Add shredded cabbage and saute until just wilted and season to your liking. The recipe suggests black pepper, but I used a seasoning mix.
- Lightly grease a baking pan (I did a 9×13, but it was a VERY THIN casserole!)
- Layer: mashed potatoes, cabbage mixture, cheddar, sprinkle on feta and top with paprika.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes.
This was pretty good. Not AMAZING or anything, but something I would make again (maybe with crumbled turkey bacon?)… especially since I get a little stuck on what to do with a whole head of cabbage. The last one I gave to M so he could make kimchi.
I gave a serving to my boss and she said, “Yum! Stick to your ribs food!”
That’s a fair assessment.